- PhD in Economics from the London School of Economics.
- Key Area’s: International Finance, Firm dynamism, Globalization, Policy Evaluation.
- Approach: Using granular approaches (big data) to provide evidence based answers to economic and business problems
- Fellow Center for Economic Policy Research (CEPR), London, UK
- Fellow of the Royal Flemish Academy For Sciences and Arts
- Expert Advise for NBK, NBB, ECB, IMF, OECD, major firms
Key Leadership Positions
- Currently I am the Dean of the Graduate School of Business at Nazarbayev University (NUGSB) in Astana, Kazakhstan
- Economics subject group at the University of Liverpool Management School (2018-2020).
- Dean of the School of Economics and Business at Leuven University (2005-2009)
- Founding director of the Center for Regional Economics, VIVES, Leuven University (on leave).
- During the financial crisis (2009-2010) I was an economic adviser of the Bureau of European Policy Advisers, at the office of President Barroso of the European Commission.
- Director of LICOS, Center for Transition Economics, Leuven University (1997-2004)